Tuesday, September 27, 2011

…of Nkwobi, Isiewu and other events: Welcome to Lasgidi

After close to a month of trying to settle into Lasgidi a few friends finally drew me out for a hangout. Initially, I was reluctant to go this being a Monday. It seemed like a sin to the goddess of work to be out on a Monday night. But alas, PHCN guided my decision as on getting home to discover that the quota for the day didn’t include light before 6 pm. So mind made up I left for the Palms to hook up with my people Monday night or not.

I have often heard about Lasgidi as the town that never sleeps. I never quite experienced it because…(well no point going into that history). So into Soul Lounge the first meeting point I went. Other than the usually over priced drinks the place wasn’t so bad. There was good music and there were people in work clothes. You could see that they made it there straight out of work. Someone said the usual story was that they were waiting for traffic to reduce. Apparently for Nigerians they were pretty patient because by around 10 pm when we were on our way to the next hangout location, they were on the dance floor boogying away to some oldies.

The highlight of the day was that we had a friend from my host country coming for a visit for the first time to our very own Naija. Since she was leaving the following day, she only had limited time to experience Nigeria. The magic word for the night was ‘Nkwobi’. A place was mentioned which I seem to forget the name primarily from the internal clock which was telling me for some reason that I was out too late. After a bit of debating and discussing (some of us were inclined to call it a day) the ‘ayes’ had it so off we left to the next stop.

Seated amongst old friends and new ones amidst plates of Nkwobi to the right and Isiewu to the left (which for reasons best known only to my ‘constitution’ I couldn’t partake of) I finally felt welcomed to Lasgidi. Indeed it never sleeps, except probably for the gateman at the estate gates of my new home who happened to have been drawn out of his dreamland by my knocking on the gate.

No comments: